Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Next stop: Houston

Have I ever mentioned how AMAZING God is? I was dealing with some job drama and uncertainty this past week and received these wise words from my dad: "I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future."
I thought my next assignment was going to be in Seattle, working at the outpatient chemo unit at the VA. I wasn't originally excited about it, but then I realized how much good I could do for veterans. I was looking forward to the job. A couple days after interviewing for that job, a posting was placed for jobs at MD Anderson in Texas, the #1 cancer center in the country, but the jobs weren't for sure. We couldn't be certain about those jobs, so I decided to take the Seattle job. However, when doing the paperwork for the job, I discovered that it required ACLS, which I don't have. During this uncertainty, I received a call for an interview with MD Anderson. I really wanted the Texas job, but was already verbally committed to Seattle. There was a lot of thinking, soul searching, and praying going on. Did I want what was best for me, or what God wanted me to do? Was His challenge in stepping out of my comfort zone and not going to a big name hospital? Was the challenge in sticking with the commitment I'd already made? I decided to fully invest myself into going to Seattle. However, there were no available classes to get ACLS certified. That pretty much closed the door on that job possiblity.

With Seattle a dead end, I was free to accept the position in Texas. There was even some drama with that job. During my interview, I was offered a days only position. However while my background check was still going through, before the official offer came down, the account manager emailed my recruiter to say all the day positions were filled. Then I had to decide if I would take a nights only position to go to this hospital. I prayed about it, and decided that yes, I would take it if I got the offer.  The good news was that I did get a job offer, and the great news is that it's for days only :) Turns out my position had already been set aside when that email went out.
There were definitely a handful of tests in there from God. I am confident that my faith is in Him and He is the one who guides my path. I am truly thankful for His guiding hand, and for His faith in me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment