Last Saturday (19th), I went out for a ride on my own. The mountain biking here is a lot of fun b/c there's actual mountains involved. I was thinking about a 1.5hr ride or so, which I'd done last month. What actually ended up happening was me crashing my bike going down a ravine after riding about 15 min. The bike decided it didn't want to go any further. The only problem was that we were already about a quarter of the way down the slope. So I superman-ed (slid face first) down the rest of the ravine. Luckily I had my helmet and riding gloves on. Even so, I bruised my face a bit (tho the helmet and my glasses :-/ kept me head high enough that it didn't get scraped open), got some good gashes on my knees and shoulder, and hurt my wrist. I did not lose consciousness, but laid there for a minute to catalog the injuries. After spitting out a fair amount of dirt, finding my sunglass clip-ons in the rocks/dirt, and pushing the bike back up the slope, I dabbed off some blood and got back on the bike for the ride back to the car.
When I got back to the apt, J asked how it went, I said not so great, then he looked at me. I was covered head to toe in dirt and bleed. I asked him to get my bike off the car since it wasn't too easy getting it on the rack with my wrist hurting, said I was gonna take a shower then go to urgent care. J and BPR were kind enough to take me to the urgent care. Xrays were taken and the doc said it was a bad sprain, no breaks or fractures. Excellent news, but it still hurt like whoa. I got a half cast/brace and some pain pills.
Work last week was a challenge. Everyone was really nice and helpful. I tried to do as much as I could, but I couldn't put a glove on my left hand so someone had to start all my IVs and draw blood for me. They call me gimpy and all sorts of other stuff, but with a smile and concern. The amount of help and support I've been offered is amazing. I'm lucky it's my left hand that's hurt, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do anything.
On Friday, I saw a sports med doc who confirmed that it's a sprain and will just need time to heal. I got a new brace which is a lot more comfortable and easier to use. I even got the okay to continue playing on my rec volleyball team, I just need to play one-handed until I feel okay enough to take off the brace :) My teammates are happy about this news, esp since they enjoyed teasing me about the brace last week when I used it as a golf-type tee to hold the ball when serving haha.
So I'm a week out from the accident and feeling much better. I'm even typing this with both hands! My wrist still aches, but today I discovered I can make a fist :-) Range of motion is still suboptimal and I can't pick up a full cup of pop, but it's getting better every day.
![]() | |
| This photo is how I told my parents :) |
![]() |
| Bruise on eye, abrasion on cheek, bruise and abrasion on chin. Never got as bad as I thought it would. |
![]() |
| Knees a couple days later |
![]() |
| Hand a couple days later. It's hard to tell here, but it was really pretty. |




No comments:
Post a Comment